First Big Ambitious Climb


Mt. Kitanglad traversing Mt. Dulang-Dulang



With our guide, Mr Radzmir Amaquin. We set our backs strong for a challenging climb up ahead.

Mt Dulang-Dulang's campsite
First Climb and I went fast to being ambitious by attempting to traverse 2 mountains at once.
Mt. Kitanglad (4th highest mountain in the Phils. with an approximate height of 2899 meters), Mt Dulang-Dulang (2nd highest highest mountain in the nation with a 9639 elevation). As far as I can remember have I dreamt of this day to come. Nonetheless, I never expected to trek 2 mountains in my first try.

If you ask a professional mountaineer how long is the preparation for a cardio workout prior to a traverse; they would say a month. As for me, I was hopelessly stubborn despite my friends' constant persuasion to join them on a stair climb. My excuses were mostly that I was preoccupied with hospital work and incurred a much needed hibernation during my days' off.

I was warned couple of times that hypothermia is a problem due to cold temperatures , but it was in the rise of altitude that can draw a challenge for a mountaineer. High altitude lowers the oxygen saturation in your blood which means your body isn't storing enough oxygen to properly distribute into your system resulting to fatigue, underoxygenation or loss of consciousness.  Despite the list of caution, I remained unyielding to the dangers and packed a cheap windbreaker, 2 decent tops (which you could say were not enough warmers), 3 leggings that would suffice to cover my legs from nettles and leeches.
On the way to Mt. Kitanglad's foot.
BASE KAMP with DaveDals

As an amateur hiker, I had one of the lightest pack in the group. Perhaps the contribution I had with my partner was a liter of distilled water which was only good for 2 people to share. On the other hand, Dave who carried most of the necessities in his 40L Habagat hiking bag; that contained his personal utensils, burners, cook set, butane, trail foods, canned goods, ropes, tent, head lamp, windbreaker, sleeping bag, rubber mat. And the list can go on. I came to realize how expensive this hobby can be, even in the absence of lavishness.

A major impact to an epic climb is acquiring an excellent guide. Our guide, Mr. RADZMIR AMAQUIN, is a professional mountaineer and has trekked the rough trails of Kitanglad and Dulang or vice versa in a couple of times - 11 visits to date. Aside from his vast knowledge from his profession, he has a laid-back personality and a good humor to pair it with. I think it is good that apart of a bonding activity in a group, it is a form of sine qua non to have a guide that you can trust. And sir radzmir is one guide you can lay your trust on.

Momemts in Dakong Bato. We love dakong bato!
Mt. Kitanglad's Peak
Mt. DULANG-DULANG as our background. #teamhelas #teaminspired Getting Cozy. Sea of cloud as our background

Heading on, Reaching Mt Dulang-Dulang's top was never easy. Everytime we head steep down, it always had another steep climb up, which involved more ropes and every step you get closer to the top, you can feel the earth start to soften and damp. The wind blew harder and you can actually breathe steams of cold air out of your mouth. The scent throughout the environment smelled like of a petrichor. The trees seemed more interconnected by vivid green leaves and weeds intertwined into one. Branches of living or old barren ones were inhabited by insects, some logs were covered in lush moss that can give you an impression where fairies can dwell. Every corner of a tree, or its figs were enchanting to look at and I was left gaping every step of the way. This is , indeed, a mountain for the spirits. A sacred ground.
This tree is just beautiful. It's beautifully haunting.
Way back when I was planning to set foot mt. Dulang-Dulang, I hear that before you enter these protected areas. A traveler has to offer peace offerings to the chief of the tribe. They even have to do rituals and rites of passage. Since our guide made some arrangements, we never got to do any of it. Our entry point was also in mt. kitanglad as we crossed it in the opposite side. Despite it was a protected area, people who went through there seemed to never fail to leave their mark, and by this mark means garbage. Wrappers from junks, there was a bottle of fundador and vino thrown right into the bushes. I manage to pick some of them but those that were off-track only meant danger for me.
A holy place in Mt. Dulang-Dulang Reaching Mt. Dulang-Dulang's top was breathtaking and majestic. The clouds clothed around the surrounding ranges. The setting sun shyly hidden in the horizon and I was there to witness it with my closest friends. I only have one phrase revolving in my mind that day, La Vita Es Bella.











Campsite was freezing cold, but still, relaxing. We were covered in the haven of strong, green branches. The old leaves kept the soil moist as they lay rest on the ground. A spring not far from campsite provided us with fresh, cold water. And as to be sung in poetry, i must say, it is indeed beautiful.




















I'll be back here over and over if I have to. I wouldn't be able to make it without my friends, of course.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be Opinionated

 

Instagram Photostream

simplygra

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

 photo gra_zps1347f7c1.jpg